<$BlogRSDUrl$>

...i am a princess on the way to my throne...

3.23.2005

Spring is Sprung! (and I'm Painting Again) 

At least that's what they tell me. Georgia can never seem to make up its mind.

Well, mah Freaky Dahlings, tonight I discovered something about myself: I am not a watercolorist, no matter how much I envision myself to be. I am most comfortable with oil paints or colored pencils, but there is something about watercolor that attacts me. I particularly like the Dr. Ph. Martin's Radient Concentrated Water Colors, for they come in such wonderful, neon shades. I am also intrigued by watercolor pencils, although I'll be hanged if I can figure out how to use them properly; tonight as I used them I just kind of faked my way through it!

Inspite of my bumbling attempt at working with the blasted things, I did manage to produce a painting I'm rather proud of (after an evening of muttering to myself, "How do these things blend???" over and overand over). I promised Angi I would paint her something, so before I painted hers I needed to get in some practice time. I don't claim it to be the best I can do, but for one of my watercolor attempts it's not bad.

Voila! La Monarch Faery:



You can make out a little of the iridescent acrylics I used for the sparklies, so while they are subtle in real life they simply pop under the flash of the digicam:



Here is a detail pic:



Frankly, I didn't know what to call her, so I named her the Monarch Faery due to the fact that her skirt looks like the wings of a monarch butterfly (completely unintentional, I assure you. I was going for taffeta).

I want to continue watercoloring, but I really can't wrap my brain about how these things work. With oils and pencils, you can layer colors in nice, even blends that show no demarcation. With watercolors, the suckers zap dry before you even have time to blink. It's a pain, but for whatever reason I'm smitten.

Hah. Let's see how long the love affair lasts.

Feeling:creative!
|
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com